Phathom Pharmaceuticals is a late clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to transforming the treatment landscape for people suffering from gastrointestinal (GI) diseases related to acid. Our initial product candidate, Vonoprazan, is a potassium competitive acid blocker (P-CAB), a new class of anti-secretory medicines with potential applications in GI diseases.
We are a team of highly driven pharmaceutical professionals who are passionate in our mission to address unmet needs for patients and improve their quality of life. We are looking for self-motivated, creative problem solvers who are excited by the idea of working in a fast-paced start-up environment and contributing to our growth.
The VP, Medical Affairs will be responsible for developing and ensuring strategic and operational excellence of the Medical Affairs function. Successfully develop medical strategies and plans that generate evidence to continuously and efficiently support value demonstration throughout the life cycle of the company’s products. Partner closely with internal colleagues (across R&D, Commercial and executive management) to develop and execute short and long-term strategies for products. Collaborate with external healthcare stakeholders (at all levels) to communicate product value in a proactive, transparent and consistent manner.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Accountable for the definition, development, communication and incorporation of asset value drivers into research and development activities conducted by the company. This includes development of Medical Affairs Company Sponsored (MACS) studies, Investigator Initiated Sponsored Research (IISRs), collaborative research strategies and value demonstration plans.
- Provide scientific and medical leadership in guidance of strategy development for products and therapeutic area.
- Execute the communications plan supporting the scientific needs and core strategy (i.e. planning for medical society presence, abstracts, and publications, supporting CME, writing of abstracts/publications, as appropriate and required).
- Partner with Commercial to provide strategic medical insights to shape the product/portfolio strategy; provides strategic medical and scientific input and day-to-day advice to the commercial and MSL team and other relevant functions. Provide medical support for access strategy, including presentations. Provide medical review of product-related materials, as required.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of external exchange including conferences, industry groups, Ad Boards, etc.; develop or adapt internal strategies to reflect the output of external scientific boards.
- Provide oversight for medical information activities, ensuring that responses are fully reflective of current data knowledge.
- Develop or adapt internal strategies to reflect the output of external scientific boards or changes in medical practice.
- Work with Chief Medical Officer on medical communication aspects of scientific and clinical studies, regulatory submissions, and post-approval market support.
- Provide oversight of medical review and sign-off of promotional materials.
- Lead publications strategy by providing scientific and plan input.
- Organize KOL development, publication and medical information and communication strategies in alignment with company’s strategy.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with KOLs for and on behalf of Phathom in all relevant therapeutic areas to establish and promote the company’s reputation, dedication to patients and expertise.
- Provide strategic input and medical due diligence to M&A and licensing activities.
- With a focus on the patient, anticipate or identify changes in the healthcare environment that may provide scientific, medical, regulatory or commercial opportunities for Phathom.
- MD with minimum 10 years combined experience in pharmaceutical industry, academic research or healthcare management.
- Therapeutic area expertise in GI is required.
- Comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and the role and responsibilities of Medical Affairs.
- Working/solid understanding of the regulations that govern Medical Affairs activities as well as detailed knowledge of common local, medical practices and treatment habits.
- Ability to understand and deliver critical capabilities of medical affairs organization: clinical research, evidence generation, value demonstration, medical communication, medical information, publication activities, congress presentations, interaction with Medical Science Liaison (MSL) networks, compliance and public speaking.
- Strong working knowledge of the R&D and commercialization processes and therapeutic area marketplace/healthcare dynamics.
- Global medical affairs expertise with demonstrated strong ability for collaboration and team leadership; experience leading and working with cross-cultural teams and industry thought leaders.
- Excellent communicator, able to persuasively convey both ideas and data, verbally and in writing and presentations.
- Proven skills as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company—in the corporate as well as academic environment.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining collaborative, flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient.
- Routine demands of an office-based environment.
- Ability to travel to various meetings including overnight trips. International travel will be required.
- May require approximately up to 10-30% travel.
To apply for this opening, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and note the position for which you are applying in the subject line.